Thursday, 20 April 2017

Kubica: I was back in the waters in which I swam for many years

MyF1World

Robert Kubica

Former Formula 1 driver Robert Kubica returned to single-seater action for the first time since his horrific accident in 2011, and admits that it awakened old memories .

The popular Polish driver completed more than 70 laps in a GP3 car run by Trident at the tight and tricky Franciacorta Circuit in Italy.

Kubica said afterwards, “I was back in the waters in which I swam for many years and I must say the feeling is great, truly wonderful.”

“I was surprised because after so long the feeling with the asphalt and the emotions I remember have resurfaced. Of course there were a lot of things that I can do better.”

“On the physical front and preparation side there are many aspects you can improve, but my limits are at a good point. I did the test in a tricky condition – Franciacorta Circuit is challenging and the GP3 single-seater is without power-steering, but I’m glad to have had this opportunity.”

Kubica last drove a single-seater car at the Formula 1 pre-season test at Valencia in 2011, ending the week fastest of all, four days later he suffered a horrific crash at the Ronde di Andora rally which ended his Formula 1 career.

Earlier this month he pulled out of this year’s FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) campaign with ByKolles.

Kubica said in a statement, “After the Prologue, I have decided to interrupt my racing program with the ByKolles team in LMP1. Therefore, I will not take part in the upcoming WEC Silverstone opening round and in the other WEC races.”

“It has been a hard decision to step down and so lose the opportunity to join such a challenging and competitive championship, but I hope this will not be a definitive goodbye,” added the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix winner.

During his Formula 1 years Kubica made 76 starts, racing for BMW Sauber and Renault which became Lotus.


Read the full story at GRAND PRIX 247

No comments:

Post a Comment